Events


I will be giving a talk at the Monterey Museum of Art in early November. Stay tuned for more info on that.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The two teacup paintings (both 8 x 10)





The pair of still life paintings is the latest in a long line of still lifes featuring teacups . The teacups belonged to my Canadian grandmother who loved her tea. They have a lot of meaning for me and they bring back memories of my childhood in Canada.

I try to paint them in a loose and painterly way, but still retain good drawing and a feel for the reflective eggshell-thin surfaces. It's tough to get all those ellipses fitting together convincingly without getting fussy.

Lately I have been more interested in the other objects in the painting. The teapots in the background are reflections of that interest. I really like the cast iron oriental teapot in the "Oriental Tea #1" painting. I'm working on a sequel which will also include that teapot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOVE your work Andy!
It was great meeting you today at Mimmosa!
We look forward to seeing you in the near future to talk about the painting for our home.
Annie Conneau